HOW TO PLAY TOUCH FOOTBALL
Touch Football is a simple sport that everyone can play. This short video gives you the key things you need to know to take the field for the first time, whether you’re playing Men’s, Women’s, Mixed or Juniors touch footy!
So, let’s review the seven basic rules, which are covered in this video:
- There are six players for each team on the field at a time. Though there can be up to 14 players on the team, with unlimited substitutions.
- You can only pass backwards.
- If you get touched with the ball, you have to put the ball on the ground and step over it.
- The person who collects the ball, known as the ‘dummy half’, should try to offload quickly because they’re not allowed to get touched or score. If they do, it’s a ‘changeover’ (the ball goes to the other team).
- The team that makes the touch has to get back five metres before they can make another touch.
- After six touches to a team, there’s a changeover.
- The ball can’t touch the ground. If it does, it’s a changeover.
NEED A LITTLE SKILLS ENHANCEMENT? WATCH THE SHORT SKILLS TIPS VIDEOS ON THE ‘BEGINNERS TIPS’ PLAYLIST ON YOUTUBE…
AND SOME MORE IMPROVEMENT TIPS…
You’ve played a few games, or a whole season, and you’re keen to improve your skills a bit… Read these ‘5 ways to get better at touch footy‘, thanks to Coach Phil Gyemore.